Saturday, January 23, 2010

Free Pattern - Man Paws



















I've listed the pattern that I used to create the "Wooden Paws" (Ravelry link) for my husband. Feel free to share some pics of your projects, too.

Materials Needed:

  • Approx. 150 yds. of dk to worsted weight yarn (works wonderfully with handspun, too!)
  • US 3 dpns or circular needles (32" in length or longer)
  • US 4 circular needle (dpns are doable, too, but note that instructions are written for circs and make adjustments for yourself as needed)
  • Waste yarn or stitch holder
  • Yarn needle to weave in ends
Glossary:
Instructions:

Using US 3 needles, co 44 sts. Do a 2x2 rib for 2", then switch to the US 4 needles.

K for 2".

Start increases for the thumb gusset here. On the next round, k up to the last st, M1L, k1, switch to next needle, k1, M1R, k to the end of the round. K 1 round. Continue in this manner until you have 16 increases (8 on each side of the mitt), or a total of 60 stitches. K one round. K to last 8 sts on first side of mitt, place 8 sts on holder or waste yarn, switch needles, place 8 more sts on the same holder, k to end of the round. Continue knitting the 44 sts in stockinette for 1/2".
Switch to the US3 and do a 2x2 rib for 1 1/2". Bo using a decrease bind-off or another stretchy bind-off that you really like.

Pick up the 16 sts on your st holder using the US4 needles. K for 1/2", then switch to the US3 needles. Do a 2x2 rib for 1/2". Bo using the decrease bind-off.

Use yarn needle to weave in all the ends and to help close up any remaining holes in the thumb-area. You're probably better at those than I am and don't have any, but just in case... ;)

Repeat for the second mitt, only changing the thumb increases. When beginning the increase round, k1, M1R, k to end of needle, switch needles, k to last st, M1L, k1. K one round. Repeat these two rounds until you have 16 increases. Lather, rinse and repeat all other directions.

I know that for most of us who do the simple version, the pattern will look the same on either hand, but I wanted to include the different thumb increases so that you can add patterns or texture on the backs of the hands or make any other changes you want without having to think about how to switch things around. I encourage you to add more cuff or top length as wanted, and have so much fun with it!

It really is a quick and fun knit. And what more could you ask for than a happy guy with warm hands? Enjoy!
If you have any questions, please leave a comment here or send me a mesage on Ravelry - I'm cbdom. Pattern and images © ChelseaD/cbdom, 2010.

13 comments:

Mary said...

Great pattern, Chels! I will definitely be making these soon! Thanks again for sharing your pattern! :) ~ Mary

Jill L said...

Thanks for sharing a great pattern!

Sammie said...

This is really a nice basic fingerless mitt pattern! When you start the thumb, do you pick up any stitches on the body of the mitt as well?

Thanks,
Sammie

Chelsea said...

Thanks, Mary! I do hope you do make some - and share pics! :)

Thanks, Jill!

Sammie, no extra sts picked up on the body. You can to close up any holes, though. I'm horrible at keeping holes from forming for things like this, so I do pick up some sts in the thumb-gusset to avoid it. Then I just k2tog. Make any mods that work for you, though!

SF Girl said...

Hi! I love these gloves and would love to make a pair for myself. I have fairly petite hands. Do you think that the pattern as is will be too large? Or do you think that they will be small enough for girl's hands?

Chelsea said...

SF Girl - These are made for a men's size medium, so you definitely would either want to reduce the number of stitches or the needle size/gauge. Let me know if you need help! :)

ColorSlut said...

Lovely mits. I'll have to try them out of some handspun!

Shay Moore The TribalDancer said...

Quick question: why would you change up whether you use a M1R or M1L when approaching the thumb gusset? Since regardless of which one you are making, you are always knitting in the same direction, the way the stitches should learn should be the same....shouldn't they?

Marty said...

They are really easy but I am confused on the thumb. Do I just knit the 16 or do I pick up some more on the inside? Also I assume you still knit the thumb in the round. Love the pattern though. I'm making these for my grandson and he can hardly wait.

Teresa said...

I'm new to circular needles. I have 24" needles, but they are too long to comfortably knit in the round. The pattern calls for 32" or longer. Seems like the info about needle length needs to be corrected. Should it say 12" rather than 32"? Or am I making this harder than it really is?

Chelsea said...

Hi Teresa. Nope, should be 32" or longer so that you can easily work with one par of the needle loosely (like a piece of waste-yarn). Here is a tutorial on working with this method, which is commonly called "magic loop": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdSpc0EZpnk Hope that helps!

Chelsea said...

Hi Marty. You just knit the 16 sts, but may want to pick up extras on the inner part of the thumb (where your thumb meets the restof your hand) and knit a couple of stitches together. This is just a way to help prevent any holes or gaps when joining the thumb to the rest of the mitt. Hope that helps!

Chelsea said...

Hi Shay. You don't have to do it that way, of course. It's a recipe more than a pattern, so I've considered that a lot of people might want to add some texture or patterning (cables, etc.) to the top of the hand and leave the palm stockinette. In that case, you've got a way to do the thumbs already mapped out for you. However, you can make the thumbs however you would like - there are many different techniques. Hope that helps!